TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE
1. Domestic violence occurs only among working class and immigrant families?
False: Violence against women and children crosses cultural, economic, religious and educational lines.
2. Domestic violence is frequently a one-time thing?
False: Domestic assaults increase in frequency AND severity, if not checked.
3. Alcohol is usually the cause of violence against women?
False: Alcohol is often used as an excuse for violence, but it is not the cause.
4. Pregnant women are protected from the violent attacks of the men they live with?
False: Many women receive their first violent attack during pregnancy or just after birth.
5. Violence against women is a sign of the times and is aggravated by women’s changing roles?
False: Violence against women and children has been with us through the ages and was regulated by law. (“rule of thumb”)
6. Men who attack the women they live with are out of control or mentally ill?
False: Domestic violence is a crime, not a sickness.
7. A shove or a push is less worthy of attention and intervention than a punch or kick?
False: One violent act or action is a warning sign and should not be ignored.
8. In Canada it is not against the law for a man to sexually assault his partner?
False: Sexual assault against ANY women is a crime. Marriage is not a defense against prosecution in Canada.
9. Emotional abuse is usually less threatening or intimidating to the victim than a physical attack?
False: Emotional abuse is just as damaging to the victim. It induces of the same fear and threat of physical violence.
10. Children who watch violence against their mothers may suffer emotional trauma?
True: Children who witness violence are seriously affected and are at risk of repeating the violence in their adult relationships.
11. We as a society tolerate the use of physical and emotional force by men against their partners?
True: Acceptance of the home as private territory and support for the idea that women should be submissive to men send a clear message to violent men that force is acceptable.
12. Women who are abused by the men they live with are often weak and need others to make their decisions?
False: Abused women have great courage and determination when faced with situations of great danger and emotional stress.
13. Domestic crime is a civil rather than a criminal offence?
False: Violence against women is a criminal offense and police can lay a charge.
14. Most men who abuse women do not believe they have a problem?
True: Men who abuse usually will not admit they are responsible for their actions and will blame the women.
15. Some women’s attitudes provoke violence in the men they live with?
False: No attitude deserves a violent response.
16. If a woman didn’t want to stay in an abusive relationship she could easily leave?
False: Women often feel they must stay because they are afraid to leave. Lack of jobs, pay equity and lack of affordable housing are only a few of the barriers they face when leaving.